Tuesday, May 6, 2008

we'll call it a 'workout' from here on out

I recently read that sex does not count as cardio. I found this extremely hard to believe!

Here is what Sparkpeople has to say about it:

"For reference, a cardio workout is anything that raises your heart rate for an extended period of time, usually 20-30 minutes. It works all of the major muscle groups, and you should find yourself sweating and breathing hard during the most intense part of the workout. "

Um....I dont know how the rest of you feel after sex...but I have fully worked all major muscle groups, we always 'workout' for at least 20-30 minutes and I quite often find myself sweating and breathing hard during the most intense part of the 'workout'. So I dont see why we can't claim sex as cardio.

more from sparkpeople:

"Cardio works large muscle groups repetitively (such as how running uses your large leg & arm muscles and swimming uses your whole body). Sex does not typically use major muscle groups (or at least in a full range of motion the way that these examples do)."

I commonly find that the way to work large muslce groups repetitively is to change positions 3 or more times during a 'workout'. It works. Because after a long and strenuous 'workout' I find that my legs are often sore for 1-2 days after! And depending on the position of the 'workout' my arms get toned! So I think you just need to be fully aware of your position and form.

The rest of the sparkpeople article is all bullshit...I think we can count sex as cardio. We all can. Just be sure you change it up and have fun.
What the hell does Sparkpeople know anyways?

No comments: