Wednesday, May 7, 2008

jerk chicken with rice, black beans and pineapple

As I stated before I wanted to try and plow through some of my saved recipes (which are really just pages torn out of magazines and printed off of blogs) and actually make some of them.
Well, last night I tried a new recipe~and it was fabulous!

Since I dont have my own camera (yet!) I will just show you the picture from the website (Real Simple) because it looked spot on!


1 cup long-grain white rice (I used brown)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup spiced rum or orange juice (I used OJ b/c I didnt have any spiced rum in the house. I know, its hard to believe)
2 tablespoons jerk sauce (such as Pickapeppa Sauce) you can find this sauce at Kroger
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (I hadn't purchased any fresh, so I used 1 Teaspoon of ground ginger
4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
8 ounces fresh pineapple, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 bunch scallions, sliced

Cook the rice according to the package directions. Combine the vinegar, rum, jerk sauce, and ginger in a measuring cup or small bowl; set aside.

Pound the chicken to an even thickness. Season it with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and add the vinegar mixture. Return the skillet to low heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Divide the chicken and sauce among plates.

Stir the beans into the rice. In a medium bowl, combine the pineapple and scallions. Serve both with the chicken.

Tip: The chili peppers in jerk sauce shouldn't overwhelm the other ingredients. Taste yours before adding it to a dish. If the sauce is too spicy, cut the amount you use in the recipe by half. Yield: Makes 4 servings

No comments: