Friday, March 7, 2008

cook off worthy in my book

I speak to you of Chili. This is such an easy meal to prepare and it can be made in a multitude of varieties as well.
My chili recipe is a time mastered one that involves a wide array of flavors.
I promise you this recipe is easy.
I promise you this recipe will be very well received.

Who doesnt like chili?

Ill tell you who. The communists.

Ingredients:
6-8 jalapeno peppers, chopped
1-2 poblano peppers, chopped
1-2 habanero peppers, chopped (these peppers are extremely HOT so please use caution when touching any mucus membranes after you have handled them.)
1 large onion
6 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 lbs ground beef
2 cans hot & spicy chili beans (I use Brooks brand, but anything will do. And they dont have to be hot & spicy if you are a chili wuss)
1 large can of tomato sauce
2 cans of diced tomatoes, I buy the ones with chopped garlic and onion in them. Why not.
Bay leaf
Cinnamon
Cumin powder
Chili Powder

Brown the ground beef....in another skillet start to saute the onion and garlic. Add the chopped onions to the onion and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes then add the ground beef to the onion & pepper mix. Let cook another 5 minutes.

***there is a common misconception that jalapenos and habaneros are ONLY hot. They are also incredibly sweet peppers once you remove the seeds and cook. So I usually remove the seeds of 1 of the habaneros and half of the jalapenos. They will no longer produce heat for your chili only an amazing sweet taste.***

While that is all cooking add all 5 cans to your crock pot and turn that baby on high. After the beef and peppers are finished add it to the crock pot. Stir in a bay leaf, a generous helping of cumin powder and chili powder.

I let the chili cook for 2+ hours before I add the cinnamon. I generally add 1T and up to 2T if I want SkyLine style chili.

Let the chili simmer for 6-8 hours and then enjoy!
Chili toppers are always welcomed as well. Try onion, cheese and my personal favorite: cornbread.

No comments: