Tuesday, March 25, 2008

in the event that boredom occurs

we all have those things that we do only when we are extremely bored.

Laundry seems to top the list for some. Cleaning is also a popular resonse. Eating is a fan favorite. The most popular for most I think would be television and movies. Oh, forgot about our guys: video games. But in the event that the cable goes out and network tv is a sea of reruns what do you do? If the power goes out what do you do?

Me?
I like to organize. Yup. Its pretty sick too.

My DVD's are all in alphabetical order. I have a few sections as well: by dvd case type, Disney movies and feature cartoons, tv series, movie box sets (such as Back to the Future I, II and III) and also a catch all for my random dvd's.

My boredom also forced me to re-arrange my closet. I have tanks, shorts sleeve, 3/4 sleeve, long sleeve, dress pants, skirts, dresses. And they are all arranged by color. So at least my closet looks like a giant rainbow. And I have to admit that it is handy when I am looking for one specific item.

But my newest way to cure the boredom is here:
http://www.urban75.org/useless/bored.html

Entirely fun and amusing ways to pass the time.

Here is a great one. Unless you have a large dog. Then you'll need a friend for this one:

Pick up a dog so it can see things from your point of view(Amusement Potential: 3-5 minutes)Think about it: your dog has only seen the house from a viewpoint from 6" to 2' high (15 to 60 cm for all you metric fans). It's never seen the tops of counters, what you keep on your desk, the tops of shelves, etc. Try looking at things from its point of view, too.

Another favorite:
Try to not think about penguins(Amusement Potential: 1-5 minutes)This is especially hard, because by trying too much, you remember what you were trying to avoid thinking of. If you try too little, you end up thinking about penguins anyway.

Now this next site is extra special for all of my Toledo peeps:
http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~jimg/reading/bored.html

It has this listed as one of its '474 Things To Do When You're Bored'
-------> Found the TLO (Toledo Liberation Organization)
Really?

A few of the klassiest from the 474:
- Flash your mailman
- Tie-dye your sheets
- Wear a lampshade on your head
- Throw marshmallows against the wall
- Hold an ice cube as long as possible

As about 473 of them are utter nonsense I believe that I shall rename these as...
The 474 Things to do When you're drunk and bored
Tadaaa!
Now it all make sense


Although I now have a hankering to go and give my dog braces and put leg warmers on my furniture.

Time to alphabetize my vhs tapes.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

I have LITERALLY tie dyed my sheets before...so...how klassy am I?

Anonymous said...

B's favorite thing to do to either annoy me...or maybe when hes bored:
See how long you can hold a note
(Amusement Potential: 4-20 minutes)
Not that much fun, but it sure passes the time. Play with a friend, or try to beat your own personal best. Inhale deeply and then try and make a noise for as long as you can. Earn extra points for making your partner laugh or ending on an amusing note.